OK. DOWN THE HATCH.Gross. I hope this works. Hey there health nuts and internet crazers,Trace here for DNews. There are broad claims regarding the efficacy of apple cider vinegar’spower to curb appetite, burn fat, cure rashes, stop heartburn, bring down fever, and cureasthma, treat wounds, reduce the effects of aging, and even cure diseases like cancer!Is this a miracle drug?! No. It’s not. But… that doesn’t mean it’s bunk.what is ithow it’s made Vinegar is a derivative of alcoholic beverages.To make their bottled delights, winemakers ferment grapes with yeast. The yeast eat sugarfrom the grapes and poop out alcohol! Yum!

To make vinegar is the same, but acetobacterbacteria is added to wine! The bacteria eats the alcohol and poops out acetic acid. Aceticacid is what make vinegar, vinegar! The word vinegar comes from French for sour wine, althoughit can be made from wine, beer, rice, or other fermentables like wood. Apple cider vinegaris made with you guessed it, double fermented apple cider. Apples to hard cider to applecider vinegar. Personal note: why did y’all mess up a good thing?what’s special about it? According to the USDA apple cider vinegarcontains none of the vitamins A, B6, C, E, or K, and no niacin, riboflavin, thiamin,pantothenic acid or folate. What it DOES contain,

according to the FDA, is a minimum of 4% aceticacid, and a lot of water. This means vinegar (or acetic acid) likely won’t make you thinner,and there’s no scientific support of it as a skin toner. And when Medscape General Medicine conducteda review of the research on vinegar, they found it was not recommended as an antiinfectiousmedicine orally or topically, and probably doesn’t fight hypertension. And in terms ofits cancerfighting claims, while it did shrink leukemia cells and tumors in lab experiments,but that affect hasn’t been shown in humans at all.does acetic acid have any special properties

(yes)Now a 2015 study in PlosONE did find small concentrations of acetic acid can help reducebacterial growth on surfaces and PubChem lists acetic acid as having mild antibacterial andantifungal properties, which is why vinegar can be used as a mild household cleanser…But putting vinegar on your face is probably not the best idea. Pimples are bacterial infectionsof the sebaceous glands, so it might decrease bacterial load there. However, it’s not recommendedby any real scientific research. Though, I did find a 1916 book for nurses that recommendedvinegar as a treatment for acne, but it also advised putting mercury on your face.so what about ingesting vinegar?

Drinking vinegar was studied far more often.Acids are known boosters of mineral absorption, so a tiny bit of vinegar on a green leafysalad can help our digestive systems absorb more calcium from the leaves than we wouldnaturally! And, a 2004 study of 11 people with Type 2 diabetes found when participantsconsumed a tiny bit of vinegar they had higher sensitivity to insulin that’s a good thing.And though this study was too small to generalize to all humans, research is ongoing and isreally positive! The thing is, don’t drink too much. Vinegar is an acid and will damagethe throat and stomach lining and erode teeth. There’s a reason it’s diluted. And speakingof deluded… if you leave vinegar alone,

the same bacteria that fermented the alcoholto turn it to vinegar will eventually grow a massive colony which some call a mother.Yep, acetobacter bacteria grows into kombucha, eventually. There you go crunchy greeny birkenstockwearers…go be friends. wrapLook, swapping vinegar into salads and foods instead of using creams or salts will notonly help you suck in more minerals but keeps you from eating unhealthy stuff! Winwin! but if you’re interesting in drinking thepremade ACV derivative, kombucha, maybe you should learn about that first in this tutorialWTF is Kombucha?

The Science and Dangers of Booze in Humans

Ahhh, alcohol. It’s known to make people all around theworld feel a little more outgoing at dinners and dance parties. But the inside of your body sees alcohol asa poison, and tries to get rid of it ASAP. Whatever your body can’t process right awaycan end up in your brain, which affects how your cells interact witheach other and causes all those things that we associate with drunkenness. So it’s totally fine to have a beer or twowith your drinkingaged friends.

But consistently drinking way too much alcoholcan get dangerous in the long run. When you take a sip of an alcoholic beverage,the toxic stuff it contains ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol is absorbed into your bloodstream throughyour stomach lining or small intestine. Your liver is responsible for filtering outthis ethanol and breaking it down, using enzymes and other peptides, so yourbody can safely get rid of it. First it’s converted into acetaldehyde,which is toxic too and probably a big reason for those nastyhangovers.

Then, another enzyme turns acetaldehyde intoacetate, which is harmless and eventually excretedin urine. And your liver does its best to get rid ofall the ethanol you’re putting in your body. But if you keep refilling that wine glass,it has trouble keeping up. So any excess ethanol circulates in your bloodstreamand eventually reaches your brain. Now, usually, foreign substances like bacteriaand toxins are kept out of your brain thanks to the bloodbrain barrier, basically a filter made of specialized cellsand proteins.

But it’s actually pretty easy for ethanolto get in, because it’s attracted to fats, so it can pass through those fatty cell membranes. And once alcohol reaches the brain, it starts to mess with the signaling betweenneurons – aka brain cells. The brain uses these chemicals called neurotransmittersto send messages between cells. Two of the most important ones are γaminobutyricacid, or GABA, and glutamate. GABA binds to specialized receptor proteinsand causes neurons to send fewer signals so scientists say it’s an inhibitory neurotransmitter.

Glutamate, on the other hand, binds to receptorsand causes neurons to send more signals so it’s an excitatory neurotransmitter. Ethanol interferes with this signaling bybinding to both of these receptors, and changing the messages the neurons receive. Specifically, ethanol enhances GABA signalingand reduces glutamate signaling, which means there’s more inhibitory signalingand slower brain activity overall that’s why alcohol is considered a depressant. And its effects on different brain regionscan cause different symptoms of drunkenness.

For example, alcohol reduces activity in thecerebellum, which is responsible for motor coordination– causing all of that stumbling. It also suppresses the areas of the brainresponsible for selfcontrol and social inhibition, which makes us more outgoing, emotional, andprone to risky decisions. These effects go away as your body continuesto process the ethanol. And as far as we know, there aren’t seriousrisks to moderate alcohol consumption. But ethanol is a toxin. So if you keep downing drink after drink ina short period of time,

Leave a Reply